The Mediterranean “recipe” for health is more than just a diet— it’s a way of life.
At Il Fornaio, we strive to capture an authentic Italian experience. From Sunday, October 27 to Saturday November 2, we’re partnering with the Italy-America Chamber of Commerce West and their Ministry of Economic Development of Italy-sponsored Authentically EATalian program to offer a special menu that highlights how to “eat healthy” the Italian way, which means well-rounded meals that don’t skimp on flavor. Italians enjoy a diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts while limiting unhealthy fats. Add a splash of olive oil, a glass of red wine, and regular physical activity and you are on your way. Last but not least, remember to eat your meals with family and friends to get the most out of what these ingredients have to offer.
Here are 10 easy tips to fit eating – the Mediterranean Lifestyle way…
1. Color your palate with a rainbow of fruits and vegetables – include the bright greens, the deep oranges the reds and the purples like broccoli rabe, butternut squash, eggplant, and tomatoes.
2. Use more whole grains, fewer refined ones – try farro, whole grain pasta and whole grain breads.
3. Use more plant proteins, fewer animal ones – legumes like chick peas, lentils, and fava beans add fiber and texture to meals. Blend for bread spreads, try adding to salads and soups.
4. Serve more fresh seafood, less red meat – whether branzino, tuna, or the fresh catch of the day, fatty fish from the sea offers a great source of omega-3s.
5. Pass on the butter, splash on the olive oil – olive oil contains healthy monounsaturated fats, use this instead of butter or lard.
6. Go nuts – use nuts together with other ingredients to up the flavor of dishes and add fiber and protein – important for healthy athletes.
7. Spice it up, leave the salt shaker behind – herbs and spices make for tasty dishes and can substitute in flavor for both fat and salt.
8. Grill your way to fitness, fry less – grilling, baking and broiling limit added fats to foods and keep athletes at the top of their game.
9. Offer more mineral water, less soda – mineral water contains important electrolytes that keep the body conscious hydrated. Add a splash of apple or cranberry juice for color and flavor – a recipe for success!
10. Toast to your health with a glass of red wine – wine, especially red, is key to rounding out the Mediterranean lifestyle – share your favorite glass with family and friends.